This joint letter by Jesuit Social Services and the Atyenhenge-atherre Aboriginal Corporation responds to the draft Stronger Futures in the Northern Territory Aboriginal Workforce Development Strategy.
Our letter proposes six ways to strengthen the Aboriginal workforce in Stronger Futures:
- Set benchmarks and realistically budget for travel allowances and resources for remote workers within the operational models for services.
- Explore the potential for organisations in different remote communities to collaborate in supervision and support for remote Aboriginal workers when they work across communities.
- Promote the use of local suppliers and services by Stronger Futures providers in their supply chains.
- Develop and pilot a model for ongoing on the job coaching to be provided to Aboriginal workers in Stronger Futures delivery organisations.
- Tailor the cross cultural training provided to Stronger Futures workforces in remote communities, and ensure this training is delivered by the communities where services are located.
- Independently and adequately fund the Stronger Futures Workforce Development Strategy and the Aboriginal Employment Plans over and beyond funding provided to deliver the Stronger Futures services.