We are seeking passionate volunteers with knowledge (or learning) in ecosystems, nature, gardening, and horticulture. The perfect candidates will be enthusiastic about learning permaculture gardening skills and prepared to share their gardening knowledge and skills.
Jesuit Social Services is a social change organisation working to build a just society where all people can live to their full potential. Since 1977, Jesuit Social Services has provided services to some of the most disadvantaged in our community. We place a high priority on advocacy and are a leader in policy development and research. Jesuit Social Services is a Child Safe organisation and is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to providing a family-friendly working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion.
About the program
Part of Jesuit Social Services’ commitment to ecological justice, the Hub is working to restore our relationship with nature and each other. We promote and teach ecological justice through community-based energy, permaculture, waste conversion, composting, ecological house design, recycling and seasonal planting with food harvesting and cooking — always ensuring that justice and equity are central to our work. We also work collaboratively with other organisations within the City of Moreland to build a local network that rebalances injustices through practical social and ecological practices.
Outline of volunteers responsibilities
- On the rostered day volunteers are assigned some of the following tasks: weeding, harvesting, planting, plant propagation, recycling food and organic waste, tending to chickens, delivering produce to nearby charities, escorting visitors through the garden, sweeping, turning compost, mowing and charcoal- burning.
- Support program co-ordinators as requested
Qualifications and experience needed
- Integrity, flexibility, creativity
- Reasonable knowledge and some experience with community gardens ( not essential but preferred)
- Good fitness level to be able to actively participate
- Willing to be a part of a vibrant and friendly eco-skills community hub
- Understanding and sympathy with the mission and ethos of Jesuit Social Services.
- Valid Working with Children Check card.
- Successful interview and Police Check ( conducted by Jesuit Social Services at no cost for volunteers) prior to commencement.